Writing & Academic Resources
Below are several helpful links for you to use as you prepare to write different assignments for your classes.
The Swilley Library offers a great variety and volume of resources for students of Mercer's Atlanta campus. Check the library for the Theology subject guides for publications of interest and, if you are a student, you may access the library's journals as well. For other academic resources, look at faculty homepages. Many of them include academic resources that faculty members themselves utilize and find significantly helpful.
Language and writing tutors are available by appointment free of charge. Contact Dr. deClaissé-Walford for a list of current tutoring contacts.
- Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia (BHS)
- The Greek New Testament (United Bible Societies, 4th ed.; or American Bible Society, 27th ed.)
- Harper Collins Study Bible
- JPS Hebrew-English Parallel Bible
- The New Interpreter's Study Bible
- The New Oxford Annotated Study Bibles (JPS and NRSV with apocrypha)
- Abingdon Old Testament Commentaries
- Abingdon New Testament Commentaries
- Anchor Bible Commentary
- Feasting on the Word
- New International Commentary on the Old Testament
- New Interpreter's Bible Commentary
- Old Testament Library
- Smyth and Helwys
- The Torah: A Modern Commentary
- True to Our Native Land: An African American New Testament Commentary
- Women's Bible Commentary (Newsome and Ringe)
- Word Biblical Commentary
Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
- Anchor Bible Dictionary. 6 vols. New York: Doubleday, 1992.
- Dictionary of Christianity in America. Downer's Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1990.
- Eerdmans Bible Dictionary. Grand Rapids: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 1987.
- Harper’s Bible Dictionary. San Francisco: Harper & Row, 1985.
- Holman Bible Dictionary. Nashville: Holman, 1991.
- International Standard Bible Encyclopedia. 4 Vols. Rev. ed. Grand Rapids: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 1979- (see also The New International Standard Bible Encyclopedia).
- Interpreter’s Dictionary of the Bible. 4 vols. and a Supplementary vol. Nashville: Abingdon, 1962- 1976 (a second edition is in the process of revision, projected to be completed by 2010).
- Mercer Dictionary of the Bible. Macon: Mercer University Press, 1990.
- New Interpreters Dictionary
- The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church. New York: Oxford University Press, 1997.
- The Theological Dictionary of the New Testament. 10 vols. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans.
- The Theological Dictionary of the Old Testament. 15 vols. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans.
- Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament
- Theological Lexicon of the Old Testament
- Catholic Biblical Quarterly
- Christian Century
- Christian History & Biography
- Harvard Theological Review
- Jornal of the American Academy of Religion (JAAR)
- Journal of the American Oriental Society (JAOS)
- Journal for the Study of the New Testament
- Journal for the Study of the Old Testament (JSOT)
- Journal of Near Easter Studies (JNES)
- Journal of Biblical Literature
- Review & Expositor
- Word and World
- The Baptist Heritage: Four Centuries of Baptist Witness, Leon McBeth
- Baptist Ways: A History, Bill J. Leonard
- Church History in Plain Language, Bruce L. Shelley
- Crossroads in Christian Growth (The Bible and Personal Crisis Series), W. Loyd Allen
- Spiritual Preparation for Christian Leadership, E. Glenn Hinson
- Thirsty for God: A Brief History of Christian Spirituality, Bradley Holt
Online Academic ResourceLinks
- Academy of Religion (AAR)
- The Center for Baptist Studies
- Greek Language and Linguistics Gateway
- Society of Biblical Literature (SBL)
- Review of Biblical Literature (comprehensive resource for book reviews in biblical studies published by SBL)
- The Southeastern Commission for the Study of Religion (SECSOR, the regional society for SBL and AAR)