Writing and Academic Resources
Below are several helpful links for you to use as you prepare papers and assignments for your classes.
The Swilley Library offers a great variety and volume of resources for students of Mercer’s Atlanta campus. Check the library for the Theology subject guides for publications of interest and, if you are a student, you may access the library’s journals as well. For other academic resources, look at faculty homepages. Many of them include academic resources that faculty members themselves utilize and find significantly helpful.
If you need tutoring for your language class, please reach out to your professor for help. If you need assistance with writing, you may visit the Atlanta Academic Resource Center located in the Swilley Library.
- Biblical Commentaries Lib Guide
- Doctor of Ministry Project Thesis Lib Guide
- Journal Search Lib Guide (Coming Soon)
- Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia (BHS)
- Common English Bible Study Bible
- The Greek New Testament (United Bible Societies, 4th ed.; or American Bible Society, 27th ed.)
- Harper Collins Study Bible
- JPS Hebrew-English TANAKH
- The New Interpreter’s Study Bible
- The New Oxford Annotated Bible: New Revised Standard Version: With the Apocrypha: An Ecumenical Study Bible
- Jewish Study Bible
Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
- Anchor Bible Dictionary. 6 vols. New York: Doubleday, 1992.
- Dictionary of Christianity in America. Downer’s Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1990.
- Dictionary of Pastoral Care and Counseling. Nashville, TN: Abingdon Press, 1990.
- Eerdmans Bible Dictionary. Grand Rapids: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 1987.
- Harper’s Bible Dictionary. San Francisco: Harper & Row, 1985
- Holman Bible Dictionary. Nashville: Holman, 1991.
- International Standard Bible Encyclopedia. 4 Vols. Rev. ed. Grand Rapids: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 1979
- New Interpreter’s Dictionary of the Bible
- Mercer Dictionary of the Bible. Macon: Mercer University Press, 1990.
- The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church. New York: Oxford University Press, 1997.
- Pocket Dictionary of Biblical Studies.
- Pocket Dictionary of Theological Terms.
- The Theological Dictionary of the New Testament. 10 vols. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans.
- The Theological Dictionary of the Old Testament. 15 vols. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans.
- Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament
- Theological Lexicon of the Old Testament
Online Academic Resource Links
- Academy of Religion (AAR)
- Bible Odyssey
- The Center for Baptist Studies
- Greek Language and Linguistics Gateway
- Oxford Biblical Studies Online
- Society of Biblical Literature (SBL)
- Review of Biblical Literature (comprehensive resource for book reviews in biblical studies published by SBL)
- The Southeastern Commission for the Study of Religion (SECSOR, the regional society for SBL and AAR)