Center for Calling and Vocational Formation
Imagine. Discover. Create.
Mission: To cultivate and form a sense of vocational calling among seminary students at the McAfee School of Theology, students at Mercer University, and the wider network of congregations.
The Center for Calling and Vocational Formation is an initiative founded by the McAfee School of Theology and Mercer University. Our core values reflect the McAfee and Mercer institutional mission, vision, and Baptist heritage. As a reflection of that identity:
- We believe that being called is a lifelong journey meant to be discerned throughout all the stages of a person’s faith and life.
- We believe that a sense of calling is nurtured in two significant ways: dialogue and community.
- We believe that each calling is a unique expression of the hospitality and inclusivity of God, and celebrate it as such.
- We believe that a learning community connecting the student, seminary, and local ministries provides the foundation for vocational growth and a life of ministry.
- We believe that the McAfee should support all those discerning their calling within the constellation of McAfee and Mercer.
Message from the Director
Welcome to the Center for Calling and Vocational Formation! The CCVF was launched at McAfee in 2022 through a partnership with the Lilly Foundation to support a community of students, congregations, and ministries as they discern their callings and live out their vocations. We carry out this vision in three ways:
- Creating programming and educational opportunities on calling and vocational formation to incoming, current, and graduated McAfee students.
- Expanding McAfee’s learning community to include alumni, local congregations, pastors, and lay ministers and offering resources and continuing education.
- Providing access to seminary education for lay-persons in a way that allows them to remain rooted in their local ministry context, whether full-time or bi-vocationally.
I’m excited to see the ways that McAfee and Mercer students live out their callings in meaningful vocations, engaging their faith to “imagine, discover, and create God’s future.”
Director, Center for Calling and Vocational Formation